Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Saturday, August 13, 2016

“CUSTOMS” INTERVIEWS – PART IV: COMMISSIONERS


The last part of this article should indeed be the first as everything begin by them: the commissioners. I didn’t even know that this role existed in the customs Market until this afternoon (August 9). Luckily, the first part of the interviews pave the way to a commissioner, Wolfgang J and a new interview, as well as a new part of the article was born. I don’t know very well what a commissioner does and this interview is an attempt to clarify that.


Addendum (August 11): luckily enough, my articles lead me yet to another commissioner (who chose to remain anonymous) and now we have an interview with two viewpoints of commissioning and the Customs Market. What is great, so I can present a broader perspective on the subject.

-x-x-x-

1 – So before the producer comes into scene there are the commissioners, is that so?

Wolfgang Krenner (WK): I wouldn’t say there is a rule for that as the people at certain factories work by themselves but some offer people to commission statues to be made.
-/-
Commissioner 2 (C2): Well that's kind of a complicated question.  Producers can and do make their own pieces, however someone that wishes to commission a piece can approach a producer about doing so.


2 – What exactly a commissioner does?

(WK): My part - when I did my Deadpool commission - was to bring the idea to life. Have someone to sketch the idea and a good Sculptor/3D Sculptor to get it done.

Sketches of the Deadpool on throne in different parts of development.


-/-
(C2): Another complicated question.  For the most part the commissioner is the idea person, they seek out the producer with an idea in mind.  The commissioner also has to be the financial backing unless some deal is worked out beforehand.


3 – Do you get a share of the profits of a custom you helped to design? How much (percentage)?

(WK): Also depends on the factory. I insisted that for myself I’m only interested in statues and I don’t need to make a profit (especially when it’s a custom statue). I decided that with my share I want to get kits to have them painted at Fat Monster Studios and support some of my friends with statues for reviews and give my closest friend one for free as he couldn’t afford it.
-/-
(C2): You do indeed get a share of the profits if you so choose to produce several copies instead of having a one of a kind.  The percentage is also negotiated between both parties.


4 – From where commissioners get their ideas?

(WK): Reading comics, watching movies.
-/-
(C2): Ideas can come from anywhere from a particular comic panel that they like to a random idea they think up.  The beauty of customs is not being restricted by what licensors deem appropriate for a pose or sculpt.  You want a specific character in a specific pose?  Go for it.


5 – How do you know your ideas will sell?

(WK): I got a lot of feedback when I first posted the idea of Deadpool on throne and Xionart was also like "let’s do this"... so I had more than just "a good feeling" about it.
-/-
(C2): In short, you don't.  It's a risk investing in a custom piece, you could end up losing big time.  You have to judge what you think people will like or find interesting enough for them to spend their hard earned money.


6 – If there’s an exchange between you and the community in such early stage of development of a piece, how to guarantee your idea is not stolen? Is that some code of honor in the customs Market?

(WK): Of course. The statue community on Facebook is a vital part of the whole Custom Market. also I have to admit that I’m writing with like 10 people at once all the time on Facebook and considering Deadpool I talked to Alex Thomas from Radd Titan [Facebook group] day and night about the parts that should be included and how to do it. Also when you post it on Statue Collectors [Facebook group] you get a lot of input and good ideas.
-/-
(C2): You can put your idea up for critiques from the community, ask for what should be added or changed.  Most of the time you work in private, communicating with the producer and artist until you feel you're far enough along to being taking interest on the piece.  I'd like to think there's a friendly gentleman's agreement not to steal ideas, but in reality anything is possible.


7 – What’s the most fun and the hardest part of being a commissioner?

(WK): The most fun about it is to get in contact with people who share the same passion for statues and get to know people around the world. We are all united by the same hobby. The hardest part is probably the waiting time until you see a prototype or a painted prototype! ;)
-/-
(C2): The most fun is hands down working with the artist to fulfill the idea you have.  Seeing a piece take shape with your input as well as the artist is truly something special.  The hardest part is definitely advertising your piece and dealing with customer service aspects.


8 – Is there projects that start without having a commissioner involved?

(WK): Of course - a commissioner is not necessary to do a good statue when you got a factory with good ideas themselves. ;)
-/-
(C2): See question 1.


9 – Does the commissioners serve like a seal of quality for a given figure? Or the producers fit that role better? Or both?

(WK): Sure... you build up your reputation as a creative member of the community but the quality is determined by the factory and the products/paintjob you chose or the factory choses.
-/-
(C2): Not quite sure what you're asking here.  I mean if you're new to the commissioning world I can see where you might want to link up with a producer that is well established so that you can have some credibility for your project.


10 – Could you hinted us what you’re cooking up right now?

(WK): At the moment I’m working closely with David Warboss from Fat Monster Studios on several projects like the custom painted Deadpool with base which is ready to be shipped but we also focus on doing custom paintjobs from several other commissions and soon my Captain Punisher will have its appearance as a prototype. The origins of this project are from "War Journal" which is a series which takes place in the time when Cap got assassinated in civil war and someone was supposed to take his role - so Punisher did it (but only for a short time as he decided he feels more comfortable killing in a sleeveless shirt).

Cap Punisher, another creation of Wolfgang Krenner and collaborators.


Daedpool custom painted is coming out.


-/-
(C2): That'd spoil the fun.


11 – How the brainstorming for a new figure happens?

(WK): Usually with some alcoholic beverage and Google… :P
-/-
(C2): For me it isn't so much brainstorming as that makes it sound like a process geared at pushing out products.  If I feel strongly towards something and I think others will appreciate it, I'll begin planning the piece.


12 – How much time on average from the first idea to the finished sketch sent to be modelled?

(WK): Depends on the producer and how picky you are about changes. I started the idea for Deadpool on throne with Alex Thomas and Abdel in December 2014... so we officially released the info on February 2015 and till it was shipped and everything it took almost a year - but mostly because we had a lot of changes and Romell Compra was so nice to not kick my ass for all those changes :P
-/-
(C2): That can vary wildly.  You can have an idea, but then where you go from there depends on how you approach it.  You can hire a concept artist or go straight to approaching a sculptor to begin work or any number of avenues.  All of which takes time, communication is crucial and shouldn't be rushed.


13 – Commissioners are responsible for selling and marketing the pieces to the community or this the job of the producers?

(WK): My regular job is in an advertising agency so I do most of the visuals myself and, it’s hard to explain, but people just write you to get more info on the product. Like I said it’s about creating a kickass piece which will get the collectors to get in contact with you instead of running around advertising it. ;)
-/-
(C2): It can be a bit of both, usually I've found that it's the commissioners duty to market their custom.


14 – What’s the difference of a commissioner and a producer after all?

(WK): Hard to tell - we better leave this out or it gets confusing. ;)
-/-
(C2): Producers either serve as go betweens or produce the pieces themselves.  Commissioners are individuals with ideas that they'd like to pursue via a custom


15 – Do you have input on the overcome of the piece once it’s passed to production?

(WK): I was able to fix some parts I didn’t like, like transitions, but this depends on the factory.
-/-
(C2): Not sure what you mean here, if it's your project you should have creative control.  Though once something is in production you really can't change much without it costing you greatly as 3D printing can be exorbitantly expensive.


16 – How do you became commissioners? Tell us a bit of your story.

(WK): My story about collecting is pretty funny as I played World of Warcraft with friends for a long time and we were into collecting figures for about 30-50$.. just for the fun of it. When I one day saw the Arthas statue by Sideshow I knew I needed to have this for my gaming room and shortly after I found a local guy selling it for a good price. So when I got my first piece I was completely hooked and started spending my weekends building Ikea Bestas [modular furnishings very used to display statues] in my bedroom ;)
I’m just grateful my girlfriend is very tolerant about my hobby as others might have already freaked out with 30 + statues in 1 room! ;)
-/-
(C2): Just have had ideas that I thought others would enjoy as well.


17 – Can one live solemnly of commissions or do you have a second job to complement income?

(WN): For me it’s not about the income – let’s be honest I invested a lot of time and money - more than I got out of it, but I managed to make collectors happy and this is what counts for me. In total, I made a few thousand with the kits but the money got mostly invested into Fat Monster Studios to be able to get new airbrush and new material for printing. I want to invest with them as they are in Europe and "just around the corner" so I have influence in the projects and can assure quality.
-/-
(C2): (Too personal)


18 – What it takes to be a commissioner?

(WK): Creativity ;) we have so many creative people in this industry I’m proud I could be a part of it with Deadpool.
-/-
(C2): Other than having an idea and approaching a producer to see if they'd take your commission, it involves finding an artist you'd like to sculpt your idea in either traditional sculpt or via an electronic tool like Z-Brush or similar modeling software.  You also have to have enough funding to begin the preliminary work on your potential piece.


19 – What would astonish you the most: to see an alien or to see a ghost?

(WK): as I don’t believe in ghosts until I’m one myself I would love to see an alien - but I would prefer if it wasn’t like the Alien from "ALIEN"! ;)
-/-
(C2): Ghost.  Statistically speaking, aliens should exist.


20 – Three favorite bands and three favorite movies

(WK): That’s a hard one - I rarely can say I have a real "favorite" and I kinda don’t have the time anymore. But I’ve never changed my taste in music, I still listen to a lot of oldschool hiphop which was always my favorite music. I could say my favorite artist is Chris Webby and the movie I enjoyed the most in the last few years was Guardians of the Galaxy - I also really enjoyed the soundtrack
-/-
(C2): Bands: The Heavy, RHCP, and The Bee Gees.
Films: Goodfellas, Oldboy, and Shawshank Redemption.


21 – Any last phrase or quote or message you would like to leave to our readers?

(WK): Oh damn, I hate to be inspirational - I always feel like one of those posters you put on your wall in the office so you don’t freak out completely. I’m just happy that this hobby brings together so many people of different countries and nationalities
And last but not least I want to shout out some special thanks to
Alex Thomas and Radd Titan
Romell Chompra
Bien Flores
Jay from Halimaw
Azad Karazhan
Carlos Rego
David Warboos and the whole FAT MONSTER STUDIOS TEAM
Abdel from XIONART
And of course everyone who worked with me or is in regular contact with me who I forgot due to the fact that it was a heavy hitting Friday. ;)
-/-
(C2): Recasts are cancer, support your local artists by either buying legit licensed pieces or by buying customs from reputable people.

-x-x-x-

Thank you so much. You helped me to cover all the parts of the Customs Market. May you enjoy great success in you commissions and in your lives overall.

Below the links of the other parts of this article:

- PART III - PAINTERS



TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES



No comments:

Post a Comment