Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

“CUSTOMS” INTERVIEWS – PART II: SCULPTORS

In our journey across the customs market seas, we dock to talk to a center piece of the whole process of the Market: the sculptor. Without the sculptor the producers have nothing to produce and the collectors have nothing to collect. Is the sculptor who gives life and movement, expression and body, who materializes the project into a piece that can be replicated (or not).
To broaden even more our discussion of customs market I’ve contacted two sculptors who I’m sure will give different perspectives of the custom sculptor work since one works only with 3D software sculpting and the other only with hand sculpting. The first is from the first world, the other from the third world (Manila, Philippines). One is a young talented man, the other a 50-year-old sculptor whose greatest joy is to know their kids are going to school. They are David F. Barruz and Martin Apollo. Both very talented artists no matter how different the methods and realities are.

-x-x-x-

1 – Hello, thanks for talking to our readers about the customs market. The first question that comes to my mind is: how do you get a work? How a project of a sculpture arrives to you? Is there more than one way? Please explain to us: how sculptors get their jobs?

David F. Barruz (DB): Hello! Thank to you and your readers for this opportunity.
It's funny because I don't try to get a job really. I didn't knock any door but I will do of course.
My commissioner uses to work in more than one project with me and these people use to recommend me to others.
The world is changing and every professional needs to understand this change.
I just try to show my work on social networks and try to help as much as I can to my commissioners and other sculptors mates.
This is not a competition about who is better, this is about learn, teach and do the best you can for collectors.
So, this is my way to get a job: just passion, hard work and good felling.
-/-
Martin Apollo (MA): I got my first project from a producer here in Manila; it was Superman by Alex Ross it was displayed on an event, toycon, then other producer contacted me that's where I got my works.


2 – Once the character is chosen do you create it freely or there is a brainstorming or the commissioner briefs you to say exactly what he/she/they want?

(DB) All depends of the client and the project. For example, I can make my 3D concept art for wargames miniatures with my team.
I always work with my commissioners. They are a very important part of the team.
I could say that my commissioners are the director and I'm the art and technical director... and digital sculptor of course! Lol
-/-
(MA): When a producer give me a work from a commission, I just have to follow what they want with the project even if I did not like the outcome of my work.



3 – Do you work with 3D software sculpting or you still use your hands and clay to sculpt? Or use both (in this case, in what hand sculpt betters the 3D modelling)? If you use 3D software which one(s) you use?

(DB): I must say that I'm a digital professional.
This a great question: What is better hand sculpts or digital sculpts?
I think that we are talking about 2 different technics that can be complemented.
But think about it like this: what is better watercolor or oleo paint?
3D let us work faster and be ready for changes... that is the truth.

Practicality, speed, flexibility. That is 3D digital sculpting.

-/-
(MA): I'm a traditional sculptor I also wanted to learn 3D sculpting. For me I feel hand sculpting is best because I do it from scratch.

Martin Apollo loves to use his hands to sculpt,
even though he dreams in learn 3D digital sculpting




4 – What gives you more pleasure in sculpting? Which stage of the process is more fun?

(DB): I enjoy every phase except cutting lol!
For me the most important is the pose. I really enjoy finish the pone with anatomy... more even if it's a female sculpture. Men are not so beautiful and sensual. Hahahaha.
-/-
(MA): For me everything is fun from start to finish. […] Women superheroes are very hard to sculpt.



5 – Do you love what you do or you do for obligation? Or it changes with the tides?

(DB): I do what I love for sure. This is what I was waiting for all my life.
I was working in 3D for 14 years as generalist and I could apply for films and videogames but for now I'm where I want.
-/-
(MA): Both. I love sculpting, it makes me happy whenever I finish my work and also it helps my family.


6 – A freelancer sculptor can live solemnly of sculpting nowadays? Is the income from sculpting enough to guarantee a comfortable lifestyle or do you need a second job to complement income?

(DB): Yes we can live as freelance sculptor. I must say that I'm working with a little sculpting team as a studio. We have a lot of work to do... right now 7 statues 1/4 scale and a lot of miniatures as well. I can't complain at all.
-/-
(MA): If you're in a company, let's say Sideshow, I think a sculptor there will have enough to have a comfortable lifestyle.

7 – Is there any character you didn’t get to sculpt yet but always wanted to?

(DB): Sure! Motoko Kusanagi from ghost in the shell manga. Please somebody commission me some Masamune Shirow characters! Lol!
-/-
(MA): A lot but there's one that I really love to do: Predators!

Predator. A Martin Apollo favorite.



8 – Are there periods with no commissions at all?

(DB): Not really. I was working for a Spanish miniature company and after that I get a lot of commissions. That’s why I needed to give an opportunity to my best students and now they are part of this studio project.
-/-
(MA): Yes, for superheroes, but I have to look for a job like Christmas character.


9 – Do you collect figures or have any other hobby? If you collect, what’s your grail? If you have any other hobby what it is?

(DB): Ok... I must confess I'm not a collector. My hobby and passion is my work but my grail is the Spider Gwen 1/4 sculpture is did.
I collect my own work! Lol!
In the other hand I love my long board. :)

1/4 Spider Gwen. Holy grail!


-/-
(MA): I don't collect figures, whenever I got one I give it to my brother but there's one figure that I like to have the one I sculpted for Halumaw Sculptures, Wolf Predator, that's my grail. Basketball is my other hobby. To stay fit.


10 – How much in average is a custom statue more expensive than a Sideshow one of the same scale?

(DB): I don't know really. I'm just the sculptor and don't know about custom sales and conditions. Sometimes people ask me about the statues and I just try to help giving my commissioner mail for that statue.
-/-
(MA): It’s less expensive for I only do sculpting. I don’t know for how much the producer sell them. I earn 1,500 pesos (32,04 USD quotation of 2016-07-25) per inch.


11 – How the ES (Edition Sizes) influences your work? You receive more the more statues are produced or is the other way around: if you get a commission for one statue only, your price rises?

(DB): I try to give a good price for good clients always. I like to try to help. You must have in mind what scale will be. More for miniatures than 1/6 or 1/4 statues. There are no difference for me. For miniatures, you have to make deeper details in order to easy the job for miniature painters.
-/-
(MA): Depends on the scale that I do. The bigger, the better.





12 – If you’re called to work on a big statues company would you accept or would you turn the offer down and continue to work as a freelancer?

(DB): Hummmm… I don't know! I suppose that this would depend on the conditions. I would love to work in other countries and have new experiences but I can do it to right now as freelancer. However, I'm open for new opportunities always.
-/-
(MA): I think I would have to continue to work as a freelancer, but if I were younger, I would accept it.


13 – Can you do the painting job of a piece as well as sculpting? If so do you do that or the producer of the statue gets a painter to colorize the statues?

(DB): I can make a digital paint and make a realistic image to show how the statue final paint will be.
-/-
(MA): I only do sculpting, the producer have its own painter


14 – Which was the biggest edition size you’ve ever made and what was the smallest?

(DB): Bigger was 1/4 scale and smaller was 28 mm to the eye... Sorry I'm not sure what scale it is.
-/-
(MA): I can't remember the  biggest quantity that I’ve done (more than 50) but the least is the Grimlock only one piece for it’s very big, stand 15' high, 26' long


15 – What’s your favorite character? Did you sculpt him/her/it already?

(DB): Again Motoko Kusanagi or any Masamune Shirow character. I'm waiting mates. I'm here!!! Hahahahaha


Anyone who reads this, please commission Motoko Kusanagi to this man!



-/-
(MA): Superman. That was with him I started to be recognized by the producer here.

Who could stand a chance against Martin's Superman?



16 – Is there a character or characters that you’re always asked to sculpt or you never sculpted the same character twice?

(DB): Not really. I always prefer female characters but it does not depend on me. I work for collectors and I always try to give a great piece.
-/-
(MA): Yes: Superman, Hulk, Juggernaut, Wolverine, Spiderman.



17 – What is the best part and worst part of your profession?

(DB): The best part is to see my work in a collection. I really enjoy the pictures and videos from the people. The illusion is the best prize for me.
The worst part is when commissioner doesn't follow my workflow or don't give a clear feedback because that makes me lose work.
I developed a pipeline to avoid this and still deliver great quality [pieces].
-/-
(MA): The best part is sending my kids to school. I have 5 children and they all go to college my youngest is still in elementary. The worst is working over and over in just one project takes a lot of my time.


18 – Do you believe that even in these times of 3D software modelling each sculptor maintains his/her unique style?

(DB): For sure! I have my style and my assistants have their style. Working together makes the projects better a better.

SHAZAM!


-/-
(MA): [Note of the Editor: there was no meaning asking this for Martin]


19 – How much time it takes on average to complete a statue (with the base)?

(DB): If I only work in one statue, it’s in between 2 weeks and 1 month.
-/-
(MA): Depends on a figure that you’re working. Superman takes a month. Predators takes about 3 months.





21 – What characters you sculpt the most: Marvel or DC?

(DB): For now DC but it depends on the commission.
-/-
(MA): Marvel.

Nice Spider Symbiote, Mr. Martin!


22 – Once 3D printing become a mainstream product, capable of printing and painting a statue in let’s say, one hour, and costing, let’s assume, $800.00, what will happen to our hobby? I believe it will become virtual, you’ll sell a blueprint of the statue with a validation code to the buyer and he/she will print it in their homes and customize it if they will. Assuming they know how to work with 3D software, of course.

(DB): I think that this will be the future. However, if you just print you will have not the same as a hand painted statue. Painters are artists!
-/-
(MA): [Note of the Editor: again, I saw no point in asking this to Mr. Martin]


23 – What can you tell to a collector who’s looking to acquire a custom figure but don’t know how?

(DB): just follow me in your network. Maybe you will see something you like it! Hahaha!
Serious now: The best way is Facebook, following custom statues groups and pages.
-/-
(MA): Look for the best company that do superheroes.


24 – Which big company do you think is the best? The more creative? The one you admire the most?

(DB): For me Iron Studios of course.
-/-
(MA): Sideshow. They’ve been there for a long time.


25 – What advices would you give to a person who wants to become a professional sculptor?

(DB): Learn, learn, learn, learn. Be patience, kind and never let your ego work for you.
-/-
(MA): Love your work.


26 – What would astonish you the most: to see an alien or to see a ghost?

(DB): Hahahaha! I don't know, maybe an alien?
-/-
(MA): Aliens.


27 – Three bands and three movies.

(DB): Bands: Vintage Caravan, Eluveitie, Sia.
Movies: Chihiro (Muyazaki's spirites way), Ghost in the shell, all Batman movies with Christian Bale.
-/-
(MA): Im not for bands: James Taylor, Jim Croce and Don McLean.

Movies: Law Abiding Citizen, Con Air, Air Force One.



It was very interesting to interview both of you from two completely separated worlds connected by the same profession, by same passion, by the same hobby every one of the readers here share. I would like to wish all that is best to both of you and wish specially for Mr. Martin a happy 50th birthday on August 18. May you two and those you love and care be healthy and in peace. And in the school!

OTHER PARTS OF THIS ARTICLE

- PART I - PRODUCERS;

- PART III - PAINTERS;

- PART IV - COMMISSIONERS.




TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES

CLICK HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment