Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Monday, November 28, 2016

INTERVIEW ABOUT KILLER CROC WITH SCULPTOR PABLOOD-Z

Sideshow’s Killer Croc figure got me when I saw a close up of its face. The lines where crude, rough, almost as they were being made with anger, with the same ferocity of the character. Obviously and undeniably, it was hand sculpted. Computers can’t do that. As I loved the result, I decided to look for the main sculptor – Pablood-Z – to discover more about the process of bring it to life. Here is what we got about this figure that’ been low on the collectors radar, but is a sculpting accomplishment to those who likes their statues to have strong personality and enjoys pieces done the old fashion way.

Killer Croc: rough, organic - human - lines. That makes all the difference.


1 – I like very much the way Killer Croc was sculpted it has more crude, rough lines than any other statue I’ve ever seen on Sideshow. It was decided by the design team? Or it was in common accord with you?
(Pablood-Z): Working with Sideshow is all about teamwork, a lot of decisions are taken before and after they assign a project to sculptors, however each sculptor put its style on it, and that's what I always do, give my vision of the character, always that I am allowed.


2 – Looking at the figure and you soon realize it was hand sculpted. The pose the imperfections, the asymmetry… humanity in this statue is explicit. It was a decision taken early on in the project? Not to look like a computer generated image?
(P-Z): I don't think so, nowadays I could say that digital sculpture has conquered the market, and it has open the doors to many digital sculptors that have not a “strong" artistic formation, I feel digital media only expands and increase my possibilities as sculptor, I am happy that I decided to make the transition.


3 – This idea of a more “crude” sculpting has to do with the character represented or did you wanted to make a totally “non-computer” sculpture to show Sideshow still pulls it great style?
(P-Z): When I sculpted Killer Croc, I had zero digital experience, I just did it the only way I knew. However I agree that the crude style fits better on characters like these.

Good old had sculpt all along.



4 – Don’t you think it was an audacious undertaking? Many people could turn their noses thinking it looked like an “unfinished” figure of sorts or “made in a rush”… (even though nobody seemed to care as much as I do about this aspect of the Killer Croc)
(P-Z): Well, it always depends on everyone's point of view, many people are not able to see the difference between a good and a bad job. But never pursued to get an unfinished general aspect, rather I pursued an organic one.


5 – Anyway, I think the result turn out awesome because of the roughness, there are almost “violent” lines on the sculpt which makes it feels so fresh and different and matches so well the feral character. Well, being said that, I would like to know, because I believe the comparison is valid since they’re all “reptiles”: were the Sideshow Teenage Ninja Turtles sculpted in ZBrush (or whatever software you use)? If so, it influenced in some way the decision of going old style with Killer Croc?
(P-Z): No idea of who sculpted the turtles for Sideshow or if they are digital or traditional sculpt, but in any case, I go my own style always that's possible.

Turtles, hope we don't cross at the sewers... for your own good...



6 – Speaking of ZBrush you also sculpt in 3D software? If so what do you prefer: hand sculpt or computer sculpt? What are the benefits and the hurdles of each method?
(P-Z): Although there is a lot to learn about Zbrush, I already can say that Zbrush allows me more freedom and control over traditional. In fact, I am at a point where I tell myself why I didn't make the change years before, I feel that digital flows inside me more in only 1 year than traditional did for more than 15 years of sculpting. I don't miss traditional, but I know that thanks to it I grew as an artist.


7 – It was more easy or more difficult to sculpt Killer Croc this way, more rough around the edges? Or is this your style of sculpting?
(P-Z): I felt very comfortable sculpting Killer Croc, I think it has to do more with my style. This has been one of those easy to do sculpts compared to other projects.


8 – How much time from first discussions about the character to the prototype we saw at Comic Con? I just discovered you changed companies and became the Art Director/Lead Artist from Imaginarium Art (a good subject for a next interview! That there will be if you’re up to!)
(P-Z): Killer Croc was sculpted by ends 2014 I think. It took me 2 and a half months to get it complete. Previously, David Igo, incredible friend and Art Director, came with the idea of it and he provided some reference images of the style he was pursuing, then told me to generate some ideas for a statue based on that style. I made several rough sculpts and we went for one of them, that took me a couple of weeks.

Sometimes I'm falling to pieces, somebody put me together... ;)


9 – What was the role of Alfred Paredes on the sculpture? I bet that mouse was his idea.
(P-Z): Alfred Paredes? No idea. The sculpture is reflecting 98 % the work I made. Oh yes, I just checked, they added one line of Bricks at the bottom of the base. Sometimes, Sideshow makes tiny adjustments and they credit that person at the same level as the one who made the entire job which I do not agree.
I am providing some images of my original sculpt that will allow you to get your own conclusions. The rat was not on the original concept, I decided to sculpt and put it there because I felt it was a good harmless addition.

 
Details... and the rat! ;)



10 – Why Sideshow is using this translucent effect in every new figure it releases? Is it a new technology? A new material? What it is? It’s getting quite out of control, annoying, in my opinion. It’s like customs trend of doing every single character “on throne” now. Annoys me too. (But those are very subjective opinions! To me, just gets overwhelming, repetitive and boring everything with translucent effect, everyone on throne. Gets stale fast.)
(P-Z): Translucent effect? Where precisely? I only noticed the translucency accordingly applied on the water on base, which is good. If translucent effect is required, why not use it? That's ok for me, no complain. Thrones, oh yes! Seems like the idea is that collectors want thrones, I am not fan of them at all, but everyone tends to think that characters on thrones will sell.


11 – Are you proud of the result? The painting really brought it to life, especially the eyes, but all the pallet from the darkest blackish green to brightest cream yellow is just fantastic. Apart the painting are you proud of the sculpture and the way it was done?
(P-Z): I think the paintwork is awesome and really brought the character to life, I like it. And I am happy with the job I did, however I am very critic with my own work in general, there are always things that could have been done better, you are able to see that more clearly with the past of time and seeing it from a distant point.

Incredible color palette. Impressive transition from very dark tones to very bright ones.



12 – Speaking of pride, please name three sculptures you’ve done that you’re proud of.
(P-Z): I could not talk about pride, but I can name a few I still like: Hulk vs Silver Surfer Diorama,
Blood Elf vs Draenei Diorama and the Galactus Legendary bust.


Handmade. No computers used.



13 – What character would you like to sculpt but were not able to tackle until now?
I love Silver Surfer, I would like to sculpt a 1/4 statue of it, my own design and style.


14 – What’s your favorite character (not necessarily from comics)?
Love Devilman, Cobra (space adventure), Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Bison

Akuma, Ryu, Ken some of Pablood favorite characters.
A Street Fighter fan, perhaps? :)


15 – What it takes to be a good sculptor? Can somebody embrace the profession in a cold, unpassionate fashion?
I am convinced that all is about a mix between passion, perseverance, enjoyment and attitude.


16 – What would astonish you the most: to see an alien or to see a ghost? (No, you can’t answer a ghost-alien or an alien-ghost! Take the easy road takes all the meaning of the question. :P)
Both are really interesting, I don't like aliens if we are referring to Giger's “Aliens”, I find them very boring at this point.


17 – Three bands you love and three favorite movies.
No favorite bands, I enjoy music in general, nowadays I am enjoying a lot Lana del Rey.
Movies? Many! “The Road”, “A Story of Violence”, “Oblivion”.


18 – Leave a phrase, a bombastic news or a quote to our fellow readers.
"I believe in god when everything is lost", I find it funny and a so fucking true statement at the same time.

And I have faith in you and in your bold decision of leave Sideshow and start a new career in a much smaller place. I desire you all that is best and that we can see your work again soon enough. I would like to add that, as probable the last Pablood-Z hand sculpt, certainly Killer Croc will be that much more valuable to me now. Thank you for taking your time to answer the questions. I and I believe the readers are thankful for that.




You can order Killer Croc with the exclusive crocodile alternate head right now through Sideshow sponsored link below (while supplies last):


Killer Croc DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure



-x-x-x-x-

Oh, and to those interested in a good fight, or a fight for good, below is the link for the petition asking Sideshow to begin their payment plans as soon as the figures are out for pre-order, giving us more months to pay at smaller monthly fees. If you like this idea, just click the link below and sign the petition. It will take just a minute and can make a lot of difference to all of us average-pocket collectors. 

Sideshow payment plans starting along with the pre-orders means more months to pay, meaning cheaper monthly fees, meaning more easier payments. If you want this to happen, sign the petition. It only takes a minute but can bring long term facilities to all of us Sideshow (and Prime 1 and Hot Toy and etc.) collectors.


1 comment:

  1. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that...
    interview questions

    ReplyDelete