Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Friday, August 5, 2016

EXCLUSIVE ERICK SOSA INTERVIEW



If there’s an artists that doesn’t need presentation is Erick Sosa. The great sculptor that’s being on the Market for over 20 years and have been everywhere and seen everything is known by every collector who deserves this sobriquet. Today we get to talk with Erick about the past, the present, the Market and tiny bit of the future.

-x-x-x-

1 – How old are you and for how many years do you work as a professional sculptor?

Erick Sosa (ES): I just turned 40 a few weeks back, I have been a professional sculptor for 23 years now.


2 – Do you sculpt solemnly with 3D software? If so, is it ZBrush? If not when do you use handmade sculpt?

(ES): I sculpted in clay and way for 20 years, now I am a 3D sculptor for the past 3 years, only 3D now.



3 – Tell us briefly what’s your story. How you became a professional sculptor?

(ES): I started sculpting at 3 year old, never stopped until this day. In high school my art teacher got me into Mattel toys, and ever since I have been in the toy industry and for 12 years in the collectibles industry.


4 – To which companies you already worked for?

(ES): I have worked for mostly all of them except Hard Hero, or NECA, other than that most of them.


5 – I see that today you work for a bunch of different companies - Kotobukiya, DC Collectibles and your own – PrototypeZ Studio. Which generates the best income? And which gives you more pleasure to work for?

(ES): I rather not talk about income, however I can tell you that the obvious answer is being a producer, that is where the most income is generated. Also I enjoy working for all clients, but Kotobukiya and DC Collectibles and Mattel Toys have a special place in my heart. However, working for myself and my own company gives me the most satisfaction as every step taken takes me to the realization of my goals and dreams, those dreams being the complete independence from any company and complete artistic freedom, oh and to be able to help other fellow artists.

Ryu by PrototypeZ



6 – What’s exactly your role in Kotobukiya? I quite didn’t get it by your job description.

(ES): I used to help run Kotobukiya as an advisor and art director and developer of product. These days I am just an art director... kinda 😁


7 – Is it common to have a team sculpting one figure nowadays?

(ES):  For the most part most companies only hire one person per project, however, there are others that do hire a group of people to work on a project, usually projects that are very time consuming. I personally have been working with other artists for a good 12 years now.


8 – What do you think of the ever-increasing prices, well over inflation, on statues Market? Why do you think it happens? Or is happening?

(ES): The industry as a whole is an ever evolving, shifting living creature, and as such it is always changing and adapting to factors such as the world economy, trends, pop culture, and yes inflation. There's nothing one can do about inflation, and companies have to adapt. One thing I do see is that there's an over flooding of similar licensed product, that is not good for the industry, it may be good for fans as they have more options, but it does affect everyone revenue wise.



9 – Do you do commission work for fans/collectors? If not, do you have any prejudice against it?

(ES): I do on occasion, but these days I am too busy to do anything anymore so I am not taking on current commissions. I have no prejudice against it although some do, I find it odd that comic book artists can sell as many sketches of Batman as they want but we sculptors cannot sell our stuff.... Anyway, I don't want to get into a debate over copyrights :)

Archangel 


10 – In sculpting, which is the easiest part, the most difficult part and the more pleasurable part?

(ES): Everything is part of a whole, once you start categorizing which parts are harder or which one is easier then sculpting loses its fun, you must enjoy the whole process or else you are in the wrong business. Ok, ok I'll cave, anatomy is tough, portraits even more... women are very hard to sculpt, but again if you are enjoying yourself everything becomes just a constant flow and it all works out in the end.

 
And that's because sculpting woman is hard.


11 – Which piece(s) you did you’re more proud of?

(ES): None, I don't have a favorite sculpture, as a matter of fact I am not a fan of my work, I tend to enjoy it as I am working on it and once it is done I can see so many problems that it makes me not really like it anymore. I am always looking to find the way to get closer to what I see in my mind versus what I make with my hands... very tough, and I have never been able to achieve such level of excellence yet, maybe one day ... buy I doubt it.

Guess who


12 – Do you collect figures or have any other hobby?

(ES): I don't collect at all, I do have many pieces, I usually get samples of my work, I do collect work by sculptors whose work I admire, so yeah maybe I do collect a bit.


13 – Your profession grants a good, bad or average income to you?

(ES): I have to say it has allowed me to live a humble yet relaxed lifestyle, I make enough for my needs, and the needs of my family.


14 – What is necessary today to be a professional sculptor?

(ES): Passion, a great eye for form, distances, depth, drawing, patience, and tons of studying empirically and by way of practice every single day. If you want to be a best sculptor, become great at drawing.

Guess who 2


15 – Who is your favorite character?

(ES): Depends, if we are talking fantasy then Superman/Spiderman/Batman, I know very cliché  😁 hey I like Yoda too 😜


16 – Which character would you love to model?

(ES): The one I have in front of me right now 😁


17 – Are there any news (I know there are) from one of the three companies you work for you could share with us? Does something change with this news?

(ES): Nothing new, wolfing on film product for DC and Marvel Fine art for Koto, I am actually not doing much freelance anymore. I believe the market for sculptors is oversaturated and the fact that many sculptors are not very well versed in business is beginning to affect those that are already established to the point of sorting wages down across the industry, time to become a producer.


18 – Is there a company you would like to contribute with?

(ES): PrototypeZ Studios :) no one else really, I have collaborated with mostly everyone and it has been fun, time for me to do my own thing I think.


19 – In your opinion, what is the best collectible figures company in the world today?

(ES): The one that is honest with its clientele, the one that respects its fans, the one that listens to feedback, the one that would rather make less money but give their faithful customers product that is worth the money they paid, hopefully many companies think this way, because that is what makes a great company.


20 – Three bands and three movies.

(ES): Bands - Duran Duran, The Verve, Five for Fighting, Remy zero... oh wait hat is four...
Movies – Matrix, Back to the future trilogy, Robocop, Ghostbusters
Oh wait that is way too many movies 😁



21 – What would astonish you the most: to see a ghost or to see an alien?

(ES): After working in this industry for almost a quarter of a century nothing really would surprise me lol.... ghosts do not care me as they are just the essence that lives within human bodies, what gives them life, so ghost are basically just people... I am not afraid of people...
Aliens, I used to be one... but I can't remember what planet I came from so no worries, I love aliens :)

Maybe Erick's portrait of a distant parent? :)


22 – Please, leave one last phrase or quote for our readers.

(ES): "Don't look back, you are not going that way"


Thank you very much for your time and your talent. Wish you all the success you deserve with PrototypeZ!


Addendum:

CCF: […] But what about the rumors of PrototypeZ getting the Marvel license? Is it true?

ES: I cannot say more, Marvel won't let me. Apologies, brother 😭😭
Soon I will let everyone know!


CCF: Ok! Thanks once again! I will not be on your ankle anymore! Lol!


ES: No, thank you and I apologize it has been very hard for me to have a minute even for myself.

Addendum 2:

I've found relevant to put a statement a fellow collector closer to Erick did, so I cite staueforum.com amloprinzi user here:

"Yes, Erick is very passionate about his company prototypez and what he does. I can confirm that. He was working extremely hard before the release of Ryu. He barely got any sleep most of his days. He was so worried and wanted to deliver on his promise of giving everyone the best statues money can buy.

After working hard day and night, he finally got the product samples and knew he had an amazing product, and could have asked for anything better for himself and his fans. I know everyone will be presently surprised and love their Ryu's. They will see the level of love and details Erick has put in these statues."



TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES


4 comments: